Friday, January 13, 2012

SSMT Verse Review 4

At this time next week, mom and I will in Houston enjoying the SSMT extravaganza--OK, not so much an extravaganza as a gathering, but still fun :)  So, I had better keep going with my review....Lord, help!

SSMT Verse 8
1 Corinthians 6:12 (NAS)--All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.
Another translation of this verse (which I chose for April 15, 2011) says that "not all things are beneficial."  This verse has been coming to mind lately as I'm trying to re-focus on my health / weight .... the Bible doesn't say I can't have a Dr. Pepper (or three), but really, how does it benefit me in any way other than by satisfying my taste buds?  I'm sad to say that I've been a slave to those stinkin' taste buds.  I'm ready to be free, though, and let only Jesus be my master.

Speaking of taste buds, I heard Lisa T., the author of Made to Crave, say something on Focus on the Family that reached through the radio and slapped me. She said that her taste buds are the only part of her body that craves junk food and that her hips, arms, belly, thighs, and rear certainly DON'T crave it.  I don't want to serve my taste buds by caving in to every little craving.  I've tried to think about that this week, and it has actually kept me from drinking a few real Dr. Peppers.  Yes, I could have "lawfully" consumed the D.P., but it wouldn't have been "profitable."
SSMT Verse 9
Jeremiah 15:16 (NAS)--Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart! For I have been called by Your name, O Lord of Hosts. 
From May 1, 2011--This is what I desire: to delight myself in God and in His Word and NOT in any substitute that can never even come close to satisfying my cravings.
SSMT Verse 10
Psalm 73:26 and 28 (NAS)--My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. ..... But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the LORD God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works. 
I can't remember what was going on last year when I chose to begin memorizing these verses on May 15--possibly final exams, graduation, and the usual end-of-the-year craziness.  This is a beautiful passage, though.  I remember wanting to memorize verse 26 and thinking that verse 28 just couldn't be left out.

I love that God is my "portion." This is a silly thought (and I don't mean to sound irreverent), but it's what comes to mind when I consider my Heavenly Father as my portion: He's like Baby Bear's porridge, chair, and bed in the story "Goldilocks"--He's not too hot or too cold, too hard or too soft, too big or too small...He's just right.  Whatever I need, He is. In fact, He's more than I can think or imagine--He's MORE than enough.  (Doesn't the word LORD in all caps mean that He is Jehovah--the I AM?)  I LOVE these verses!  Jehovah is my hiding place where I find strength when I need it.  It is a very good thing to be near to my God.
SSMT Verse 11
Psalm 86:11-12 (NIV)--Teach me Your way, O Lord, and I will walk in Your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name.  I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all  my heart; I will glorify Your name forever.
 From June 1, 2011--I noticed this verse as I was reading through Made to Crave by Lisa T. (I can't spell her last name.)  Lisa wrote about making excuses for skipping exercise and for neglecting to properly care of her body; if I remember correctly, she was saying that not being committed is the same as having a divided heart.  I want a united heart that walks in all of God's ways and brings praise and glory to Him.
SSMT Verse 12
Psalm 16:11 (NAS)--You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever!
From June 12, 2011-- This was a verse I saw in a Philip Keller book--possibly in a chapter about idolatry.  Why should I seek satisfaction in any person, place, or thing when only GOD has pleasures at His right hand forever?!?!
Well, that was verse 12--I'm halfway though my review, but I'm done for now... falling asleep at the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment